Sunday 27 September 2015

Visual Design: Custom Robot & Speed Paint

This blog will be used to document my progress through the Computer Games Arts BA Honours at UCA.

First up, first assignment.

The class was asked to come up with a robot design complete with research, different concepts and a purpose for existing. I've always had a thing for utilitarian designs and how technology integrates in our day to day lives.

That's pretty much how the RunBot was born. We have a growing and ageing population, why wouldn't we have a robot with a near infinite life expectancy keep our elderly in shape. I was fixated on having a friendly user interface with human qualities.

Here are a few sketches and the final design at the bottom:







While I quite like the final design, I would have loved to have gone for a sleeker chassis. iPod meets Personal Trainer by way of Pixar.

And lastly my speed paint from my first Visual Design class at UCA. Steve made a fantastic point of zooming out and really roughing out the shapes before going in and noodling on the details. This will help me hugely in the long run and I tend to get lost in minutia.



B







No comments:

Post a Comment