Friday 8 April 2016

Gameplay and Interactivity: Momentum Reflections

With the submission coming to an end, it is time to reflect on the project as a whole.

The group was fantastic to work with. All the members were chosen based on their given specific talents. We had a very strong coder and strong 2D artists. I took the charge with leading the main character designs and key animation cycles. We certainly could have managed time more efficiently as part of the team seemed to lose the fantastic momentum we had built up in the run up to the Easter, costing us bug testing time.



This combined with an over ambitious mindset has left us with a product that I'm not overly proud of, as it isn't quite as polished or well executed as I would have liked. Our initial concept of combining the characters momentum with a health and point system was never achieved. The game ended up ridden with bugs that couldn't be fixed and I generally feel that the 2D art team provided all that was necessary to have a successful game with the time given.


 We had to compromise with an alternative point system that works, albeit not living up to the expectations we set for ourselves. Still, a score system is in its place.



I'm happy with the art I contributed to the team - I was a driving force behind the overall aesthetic and developed the looks and animations for the main character and backgrounds. Again, with more time I would have loved to have seen all my work implemented effectively in game. There are countless character sprites and animations that ended up on the cutting room floor because of time mismanagement.


 Not to pretend that my work was perfect. There is a level of polish to certain background elements and animation cycles that if given the chance again, I would execute to a higher level. 2D Sprites are not to be scoffed at. My strengths are in 2D but that didn't stop me doing my part with the scripting and I'd love to be more involved in this next time around, especially to help keep things on track.

Overall, the team worked effectively at the beginning of the project but towards the end time keeping issues impacted the final product. We set out to make a game that is easy to pick up and play and wonderful to look at and I feel that all being said, we partially achieved that. Just a shame that bugs really impact the user experience.


It was an extremely tough, yet enjoyable experience and I have learnt a lot both that I will take into the next challenge.










No comments:

Post a Comment