Wednesday 28 October 2015

3D Art: Mushroom

Another tutorial, another set of tools that I'd been dying to try out.

When you first get your hands on Maya, modelling inorganic shapes is easy. Shape, Bevel and hey presto! Something that looks like a television. However, trying to make something that is asymmetrical..another story. Add in texture stretching and you can be in for a long day.

This utilised the curve and sculpting tools - both INVALUABLE when it came down to my Arena. Terrain and mountains suddenly became possible. This tutorial also introduced us in more depth to UV tiling and stitching. Whilst daunting when your complex model appears to be in a million parts, it really does help when preparing a model with unique properties for texturing.





I learnt my lesson from the Barrel in week one and decided to not go too crazy with the shapes that made up the Mushroom. That helped a great deal with even distribution of the texture.




Whether or not I end up using these is a different story - I feel they could fit in to my arena, but I'm not sure if they'll serve the narrative. Either way, I'm pretty stoked with how they came out!






No comments:

Post a Comment