Thursday 19 November 2015

3D Art: Terrain and Channels

This week we were taught how to texture models with materials made out of multiple different images.


Initially we had to create a UV map out of a plane in Maya and then open it up in Photoshop. We then used the tutors stock textures - Rock, grass and sand and manipulated them to look more unique. After this, we had to add a ShaderFX material to our Maya model and import the different images. We would then link them to the model in different colour channels to create a unique looking texture on the Plane.


My original texture ended up looking quite stretched and low resolution. It works as a place holder but in the long term I need to look for a higher quality solution...




*Update* 19th November:


Now that I have subsequently been introduced to Quixel, I created a far better looking texture for my terrain. This combined with my sculpted surfaces created a pretty cool look, far more along the lines I was going for. Yay Quixel!

No comments:

Post a Comment