Wednesday 9 December 2015

3D Art: Sci Fi Door and Wagon

The final tutorials of the year and the perfect three classes to take my arena to that next level.

Now you'll notice that the actual Door isn't here - My environment didn't need the doors so I absorbed all I could from the tutorial and applied it to a number of various models in my level.

Quixel is a beautiful programme. It deserves some sort of sainthood or at least an OBE. It makes texturing far less stressful and comes up with wonderful textures that would take far too long to hand paint. Don't get me wrong, I've actually come to really enjoy painting textures, but when you can map out a mountain range that you never see close up, and just bake a wonderful texture for it in a matter of minutes....It's too good to pass up.

To use it on an object with more than one texture, you simply add different colours to the seperate elements of your model, bake some Albedo and AO in Turtle and take it into Quixel/Photoshop. From there it does a lot of the heavy lifting for you - Creating normal maps and STUNNING textures for your model.

Now having said that, it is a particularly erratic programme - Crashes are the norm and it dislikes groupings and any sort of history in your Maya models, so you have to remedy those issues first. I also had issues initially with the texture tiling incorrectly across the model, but this ended up being my fault and a simple fix.

This wagon is going straight into my Battle Arena! It looks so good, I just want to ride around in it.






No comments:

Post a Comment