Thursday 3 December 2015

Gameplay and Interactivity: Prototype Loop 2 and Level Design

Another prototype loop came and went. This time it got me thinking about level design. Even with ambient lighting that I assumed would guide the player, some still navigated the level in ways that I didn't necessarily want them to.


The stairs were too obviously lit and tempting to the player. I had to find a reason to keep the player upstairs a little longer, prolonging the experience and exploration. Especially if I wanted to hit the 2-3 minute mark.


I am already using subtitles to push along the narrative and the player. These could definitely be utilized to goad the player into staying upstairs a little longer. Ask them to look for fellow crew members or maybe a key....




A KEY!

A key. A combination of better ambient lighting and an actual gameplay element will steer the player into spending more time upstairs. You already need a Spacesuit equipped in order to exit the airlock and head to the safety bunker on the surface. If you need a key to open the door, that will definitely aid my cause.



No comments:

Post a Comment