Thursday 17 March 2016

3D Art Production: UV Unwapping and Texturing

Looking at the feedback form for my initial Battle Arena, I lost marks based on the fact I dropped textures straight on to models without UV unwrapping them first. I lucked out on the more simple models, but more complex ones ( like my statue ) required proper unwrapping.


This was a laborious but rewarding process. It is simple enough to do with less organic shapes, but the head and torso were more difficult. I feel that seams on parts of my statue aren't where they should be, but this is a learning process. Stitching them together wasn't as difficult as I once thought, and it yields far superior results. There is still some stretching and that is something to consider for the next time.


For texturing I used a combination of Quixel and X-normal in order to get really solid results. Quixel worked a treat for me last time and this time it was much easier having proper UV maps to work from. I tried to be lazy last term, but this time round it worked very well. I went for a very basic weathered stone look to fit in with the general aesthetic of my arena. Some stretching is certainly visible on parts of the body like the hands but overall, I'm very happy with the model.















No comments:

Post a Comment