Monday 7 March 2016

Visual Design: Tree

For this weeks assignment we were tasked with creating a tree with character. Unsurprisingly it is far easier to create a tree with the creep factor, than it is to create a happy whimsical tree.

I wanted to tie this task in with painting a landscape with fantastical elements, creating a narrative of sorts.



I painted three thumbnails to get a feel for mood and shape. I really wanted to create a tree that looked like it could come alive at any point to interact with the humans that discover it.

Frustratingly, I also had some great designs sketched out on post it notes, but the phone the pictures were taken on has subsequently died. Sigh.

I worked with 3 very different colour palettes. The end piece had a cool graphical element that I'd love to use in a future project.



After working on the concepts, I decided to go with an arachnid looking shape for my piece. I decided to make it a mix of horror and the fantastic, using colourful flowers to offset against the foreboding atmosphere. The most twisted Disney princess story you ever did see.

Overall I'm happy with the final image. It gave me an opportunity to use some new brushes and practice photobashing. I had to hand paint the star reflections on to the lake by the mountains which was laborious but necessary to have a coherent light source.

 I need to use less rim lighting and focus on using gestural strokes to build lighting across the image. This is certainly something to work on as I've noticed it across most of my work this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment