Thursday 21 January 2016

3D Art Production: Building a head

For this weeks session we were tasked with creating a 3d head in Maya. I thought back to the first week, modeling that barrel and hoped I'd come far since then.


Thankfully, it ended up being far easier than I thought. We utilized 2d images as reference within the different displays in Maya and this made things infinitely more efficient. It was relatively simple to extrude faces outwards to continue building the structure of the skull.


The ears turned out to be absolute hell to model, but I mirrored half of the built head and then built a single ear and did the same. It was made apparent to us that it is good practice to jump between the low poly and smoothed out model frequently in order to make sure the model is in good steed.


Overall, I'm chuffed with how it turned out! I made some small alterations using the sculpting tools afterwards, to create more character but I'm not sure if these will make it through to the final model. I'm all for a strong Roman nose but this is slightly hawkish!


 






No comments:

Post a Comment